Father Chris Riley established our Service Learning program to help young people discover that they have something positive to contribute to society.
The aim of our Service Learning program is to help young people develop a lasting moral framework for positive behavior. We engage young people in activities that serve the community. As they help others, they develop skills, self-esteem and empathy.
Experiencing and understanding the value of generosity is one of the key features of the program’s success. Young people discover their own worth when they contribute to society and build relationships with people who are in high need.
Service Learning programs are now delivered across a range of Youth Off The Streets services.
These are some ways young people at Youth Off The Streets participate in Service Learning:
- In our high schools. Service learning is integrated into the curriculum of every young person who attends one of our accredited high schools. Students participate in leadership camps, help out at retirement homes, hospitals and animal shelters, and work in gardens in their communities.
- Major Service Learning projects. Young people at Youth Off the Streets have walked the Kokoda Trail and raised funds to travel to Timor Leste to work in a local orphanage. Another larger Service Learning project saw young people assist Queensland communities during the 2011 floods.
- At the Koch Centre for Youth. All participants in Koch Centre programs have the opportunity to participate in Service Learning activities. Our young people provide aged care and child day care assistance to the Macarthur Diversity Service Initiative Centre. We’ve also worked with Macarthur Disability Services to take young boys on excursions.
- Helping animals. Young people at Youth Off The Streets New Pathways Residential Service often visit their local animal shelter to help walk the animals.
- Raising awareness. Youth Off The Streets actively supports different awareness days, particularly White Balloon Day which recognises victims of sexual abuse.
Find out more
For information about the Service Learning program, please contact Youth Off The Streets.
T: 02 93303500 E: email@example.com