- Opportunity to make a difference
- Great development opportunities
- Located at Fairfield, NSW
Youth Off The Streets is a non-denominational community organisation working for disadvantaged young people who may be homeless, drug dependent and / or recovering from abuse. Youth Off The Streets supports these young people as they work to turn their lives around and overcome immense personal trauma such as neglect, physical, psychological and / or emotional abuse.
It is our goal that these young people will leave our care drug free, with a high school education, living skills and a full-time or part-time job in hand.
The primary purpose of this position is to provide immediate engagement with disadvantaged refugee young people who are disconnected from their families and communities and/or facing challenges. The Youth Worker will assist young people with support and opportunities for personal growth, developing their identity and reaching full potential as healthy individuals within their community and larger society.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with facilitating group activities, programs and workshops
- Building rapport and addressing the needs of the young people
- Build and continue networking with selected stakeholders, other agencies, Schools and local community
- Prepare and manage reports as required
- Have an understanding of issues and challenges faced by youth from a diverse cultural background
Essential Requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Minimum Certificate IV in Youth Work or Community Services
- 1+ year’s sound knowledge of, and experience in the youth and community sector
- Current Driver’s licence (Green Provisional P2 or above)
- Valid and current Working With Children Check
- Possess a thorough understanding of the mandatory child protection procedures and values that underpin a child safe organisation
- Experience in case work, group facilitation, child protection procedures
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently
- Have an understanding of adolescent development
- Strong communication skills and highly service orientated
Desirable Requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Experience working in an outreach setting
- Experience with facilitating workshops and school engagement programs
- Knowledge of the local Fairfield community
- Experience in program evaluation and planning
Ideally, the successful candidate will have a desire to work within a dedicated and service driven outreach team, where you are working closely with employees to achieve great results. You will have a team focus and have the confidence to communicate effectively with a range of diverse individuals. You will also have a ‘can do’ attitude and enjoy working together to achieve the desired outcomes of the organisation.
This is a rare opportunity to join a passionate and high profile non for profit organisation that values the current youth of today and the youth of tomorrow.
If you are excited by a challenge and have a strong focus on delivering quality services, we would like to hear from you.
To apply, please send your resume through to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure you enclose a copy of your resume and just as importantly, a copy of your cover letter addressing the essential criteria.
Only those selected for short-listing may be contacted. Successful applicants will require a full probity check
Recruiters need not make contact.« View more volunteer opportunities