Youth Off The Streets is a non-denominational community organisation working for disadvantaged young people who may be homeless, drug dependent and / or recovering from abuse. Youth Off The Streets supports these young people as they work to turn their lives around and overcome immense personal trauma such as neglect, physical, psychological and / or emotional abuse. It is our goal that these young people will leave our care with a high school education, living skills and a full time or part time job in hand.
YOTS is committed to providing a safe environment where all children and young people are treated with respect and are protected from harm; we have zero tolerance for child abuse.
The primary purpose of this position focuses on engagement of at risk young people and identifying their issues and support needs as well as taking steps to address these needs through provision of client centred individual support and advocacy. The role responds directly and immediately to a young person’s needs and circumstances. This can be done through street based engagement, establishing rapport with young people, and building trusting and professional relationships that foster person centred practice.
Some of the functions of the role include:
- Build trusting and professional relationships with individual young people, groups, family networks and community
- Utilise strong communication and interpersonal skills to enhance and increase young people access to services and support
- Develop and implement programs that address current and emerging needs and issues
- Develop strong networks with service providers, local community groups, and Government bodies
- Consultation and collaboration with the community to identify, develop and implement effective and meaningful activities and programs
- Implement mechanisms for local youth engagement which facilitates youth empowerment within a community development framework
- Provide individual support to young people
- Maintain a high standard of reporting, data entry and other means of information gathering
- Provide a platform for young people to access services from multiple service providers
- Promote and maintain a safe, friendly and inclusive environment for young people and youth participation in line with Youth Off the Streets organisational practice
This is a maximum term full time position up until 30 June 2022 reporting to the Program Manager Hunter Valley Outreach. The position is based at Weston-Hunter Valley however some travel across sites is required.
Selection Criteria, includes but is not limited to:
- Minimum certificate IV Qualifications in Youth Work or Community Services
- Commitment to work towards further industry relevant diploma level tertiary qualification in Youth Work, Community Development, or another related field.
- 2+ year’s sound knowledge, and experience in the youth services field.
Skills and knowledge:
- Experience in individual support, group facilitation, child protection procedures.
- Experience in facilitating capacity building workshops in a group setting.
- Ability to apply a harm reduction approach in assessing the needs of vulnerable and disadvantaged families where there are concerns for safety and wellbeing of young people
- A clear understanding of the issues confronting vulnerable young people and their impact on families and the community
- Ability to apply Trauma Informed Care principles
- Demonstrated capacity to respect and work effectively with young people of diverse cultural backgrounds including culturally sensitive practice
- Strong administrative skills and understanding of the importance of Evidence Based Quality Practice
- Ability to use Person Centred Practice in empowering young people
- Excellent communication and empathy skills, demonstrating confidence in engaging young people and making meaningful connections.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of basic computing concepts
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the mandatory child protection reporting procedures and values that underpin a child safe organization
- Have an understanding of adolescent development
A valid and current NSW Working With Children Check, Drivers Licence and unrestricted Australian working rights are essential for this position.
A Diploma or Bachelor qualification in a relevant field, experience working in an outreach setting and/or experience in program planning and evaluation are desirable qualities.
Applications close 11 May 2021 unless closed prior.
To apply, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure you enclose a copy of your resume and a cover letter addressing the essential criteria (2 pages maximum).
Recruiters need not make contact.
Applicants are required to have the right to work in Australia. Police checks and Working with children checks forms part of the recruitment process.
We encourage people who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander to apply for this position.
If you choose to apply for this position we reserve the right to retain your CV on our database indefinitely. If you do not wish for this to happen please notify us by email address detailed above.
Successful applicants must comply with the NSW Child
Youth off The Streets is an EEO Employer« View more volunteer opportunities