Youth Off The Streets is a non-denominational community organisation working for disadvantaged young people who may be homeless, drug dependent and / or recovering from abuse. Youth Off The Streets supports these young people as they work to turn their lives around and overcome immense personal trauma such as neglect, physical, psychological and / or emotional abuse. It is our goal that these young people will leave our care drug free, with a high school education, living skills and a fulltime or part time job in hand.
We are looking for a Maximum Term Part Time Youth Worker (9 shifts per fortnight) to contribute to the daily running of our sites at Marrickville and Erskineville, and to assist young people within the service to meet their personal goals, develop their capacity to manage personal challenges, make informed life choices and live with greater independence. You will provide a range of support to young people, including but not limited to facilitating care through employment and education options, life skills training, mentoring opportunities, and support and structure in line with the program guidelines.
A person employed as a Crisis Accommodation employee level 1 will work under general direction in the application of procedures, methods and guidelines that are well established. They would have obtained organisational or industry specific knowledge sufficient to give advice and/or information. General features of this level involve solving problems of limited difficulty using knowledge, judgment and work organisational skills acquired through qualifications and/or previous work experience.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the day to day running of the site
- Engage with the young people to develop positive mentoring relationships
- Effectively supervise the young people
- Assist each client to effectively manage their behaviour through establishing positive relationships
- Assist and encourage the development of each young person’s interpersonal and social skills
- Be involved in the development, implementation and participation in leisure and recreational activities
- Develop each young person’s life skills through role modelling and group work
- Complete administrative tasks such as daily case notes, communication book, petty cash, updating data into CIMS and timesheets
- Complete accurate and timely reports on critical incidences
- Participate in case reviews with the case worker or other relevant persons as required
- Follow behaviour management plans
- Supervise and assist residents with daily chores, living competencies, appointments
- Closely monitor and assist clients in activities within and outside the program facility, in accordance with program policies and procedures.
- Participate in Life Space Interviews and reporting/recording incidents
- Maintain records on provision of resident’s medication
- Complete WHS and other Q A compliance log books
- Orientation of new residents into the house
- Other duties as required
Essential criteria, including but not limited to:
- Minimum Certificate IV qualifications in Youth Work, Community Services, Welfare or related discipline.
- At least 2 years’ experience working with disadvantaged young people preferably in a residential care environment.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of homelessness issues and its effects.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver effective supports to clients within our care to ensure key outcomes are achieved for the young person and the programs are reached.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and work independently and unsupervised.
- Understanding of confidentiality in relation to client privacy.
- Knowledge of child protection legislation.
- Current Drivers Licence
- Current First Aid certificate
Desirable criteria, including but not limited to:
- Diploma qualification in relevant field
- Knowledge and experience of trauma informed practice
- Knowledge and experience working with CIMS
This is a rare opportunity to join a passionate and high profile non for profit organisation that values the current youth of today and the youth of tomorrow.
Ideally, the successful candidate will have a desire to work within a dedicated and service driven Homelessness Service Team, where you are working closely with employees to achieve great results. You will have a team focus and have the confidence to communicate effectively with a range of diverse individuals. You will also have a ‘can do’ attitude and enjoy working together to achieve the desired outcomes of the organisation.
To apply, please send your application to – email@example.com
Please ensure you enclose a copy of your resume and just as importantly, a copy of your cover letter addressing the essential criteria.
Recruiters need not make contact.« View more volunteer opportunities