Youth Off The Streets is a non-denominational community organisation working for disadvantaged young people who may be homeless, drug dependent and / or recovering from abuse. Youth Off The Streets supports these young people as they work to turn their lives around and overcome immense personal trauma such as neglect, physical, psychological and / or emotional abuse.
It is our goal that these young people will leave our care drug free, with a high school education, living skills and a full-time or part-time job in hand.
The primary purpose of this Trainee Youth Worker position is to assist in developing young people’s capacity to take responsibility for their own lives and address the development and cultural needs of the young people in the local community. It may be on an individual or group-based capacity. You will also engage with the local young people to assist them with accessing services and programs offered by local government and Youth Off The Streets.
You will gain invaluable training and experience as well as professional support as you develop a career in the welfare and child protection industry.
This role will involve alternate days spent in the office planning and preparing programs, activities and workshops as well as Outreach some Afternoon and Evening shifts throughout the week, with occasional weekend work.
Duties Include, but are not limited to:
• Trailer preparation and maintenance of trailer resources
• Assist in all aspects of running the Outreach program with staff, volunteers and community.
• Building rapport with the young people
• Helping to identify strengths, assets, needs and gaps within the community
• Actively engage in planning and running of appropriate programs for vulnerable young people
• Undertake learning activities on days/times that have been allocated by the Youth Off The Streets as well as attending classes
• Collaborate with community-based services to promote optimal service provision for vulnerable young people
• Promote the program in the community
• Maintain data collection for reporting purposes as required
• Participate in evaluation and ongoing monitoring of Outreach through strategic planning process
Essential Requirements include, but are not limited to:
• identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
• You must be eligible for a traineeship under the Australian Traineeship Guidelines and be committed to completing within the 12 month Max Term, a Certificate IV whilst you work
• You must not have completed any other qualification higher than Certificate III within the Community Services sector
• Have a genuine passion for working with and assisting youths
• Valid and current Working With Children Check
• Current driver’s license
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrating confidence in engaging with young people
Desirable Requirements include, but are not limited to:
• Reside in or have knowledge of the local Hunter Valley region
• Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team
Ideally, the successful candidate will have a desire to work within a dedicated and service driven outreach team, where you are working closely with employees to achieve great results. You will have a team focus and have the confidence to communicate effectively with a range of diverse individuals. You will also have a ‘can do’ attitude and enjoy working together to achieve the desired outcomes of the organisation.
This is a rare opportunity to join a passionate and high profile not for profit organisation that values the current youth of today and the youth of tomorrow.
To apply, please send your resume through to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those selected for short-listing may be contacted. Successful applicants will require a full probity check.« View more volunteer opportunities